Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Students need less work more PLAY!

According to an article on Yahoo, children aged 8 and 9 have "better classroom behavior" when given "at least a 15-minute break during the school day."

As adults, we all take breaks (or at least I do) and when I return to work, I'm more focused on the task at hand. But recess is also a time for children to practice developing social skills and learn to manage their own behavior, so recess is even more important for them. View the article at: Kids need recess.

It's amazing that a mere 15 minute break can produce a measurable improvement in behavior. I wonder if getting outdoors is a part of the equation or is it increased physical activity? I've been taking a piano lesson at lunch two days a week. I don't play well, yet when I return to my desk, I feel refreshed, enlivened, and invigorated--in a way no cup of coffee can recreate.

I've decided to steal more of these 'moments' from now on. Maybe there isn't time to snow-shoe around our hill, but we could step out to make snow angels or a snow man. Almost time for work? Still time to put on some tunes and march around the house a few times. This morning we drew pictures before putting on coats and heading out the door. We even put one in an envelope to mail to Nona. Instead of turning to email whenever there are a few minutes to kill, I want to focus that time on what's most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment