Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Endangered animals in your own backyard

The once common bog turtle is now endangered. So is the peregrin falcon, and both are residents of Otsego County, according to the handy new online nature guide brought to you by the New York Natural Heritage Program.

According to the guide, the fastest known flying bird is the Peregrine Falcon, with an air speed record of 60 mph and diving attack speeds up to 200 mph.

The not-so-famous (or daring) bog turtle is simply known for being tiny: generally less than 4 inches long in northern areas.

The guide is easy to search by plant or animal name, or even by county, which was nice! However, I got lost trying to search by community, with categories such as 'shale talus slope woodland' to choose from. I was really excited to identify a bird I encountered my first year in New York State. I was just entering my driveway on a clear fall day when a majestic, hawk-like bird flew over the road. Trouble is, the bird had an owl's fluffy face and wizened eyes. I know now that it must have been a Northern Harrier, one of many hawks in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment