Sunday, August 9, 2009

#49 Model Effective Conflict Resolution

Conflict among children is unavoidable. Adults can't always avoid conflict, for that matter. So it makes sense to arm your children with ways to help resolve conflict when it occurs.

Tip #49 from "Raising Confident Boys, 100 Tips for Parents and Teachers" by Elizabeth Hartley-Brewer, suggests that adults should 'model effective conflict resolution.' One idea is to demonstrate good communication skills, by using only "I" statements when presenting your case and avoiding "You" statements, which can be accusative. Another is to accept that "You don't need to win every battle."

I like this book because in two pages I've covered a complete section, so I can catch up on my parenting skills without spending a lot of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment