Sunday, December 7, 2008

A day in historic downtown Oneonta

I admit to dragging my feet a bit. I didn't really want to leave the house Saturday morning. But Oneonta World of Learning (OWL) is putting together the children's section of the Greater Oneonta Historical Society's railroad exhibit. While the men of the house watched Space Chimps at the Oneonta Theater, Aaron and I set up the pillows, dress-up area, craft activities and Thomas the Train play center. Meanwhile, the history center volunteers set up an electric train set, noise, steam, and all. It was really a lot of fun.

After lunch I brought the kids over to see everything. The 'exhibit' was big hit. They made signal flags and put an elaborate wooden track together (the water tower was their favorite add-on). Then they dressed up like railroad men and peered eagerly into the display while the electric train went through the tunnel. My favorite moment was when my oldest begged, "Mommy, can we stay here all day?"

A trip to the Latte Lounge and the Green Toad for live music and fresh fruit finished off a great day. I hope you'll bring your kids in next week. By then we'll hopefully have the 'book nook' finished as well as the signal lantern activity. The center is open Saturdays 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Mondays Noon to 3:00 PM (December 1-22) and Tuesdays noon to 3:00 PM.

Mark your calendar for January 10th--you won't want to miss the puppet show and railroad music!

No comments:

Post a Comment