Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kids and electronics

The EE Times reported last year that kids are being introduced to electronics at younger ages. In fact, the average age dropped from about 8 years old to about 6 1/2 years old in 2007.

"Electronics devices purchased most frequently are cell phones, digital cameras, and portable digital media players. Lower level of household purchases were noted for ... TV-to-computer video devices and satellite radios..."

Our kids have already been introduced to the computer, and (shhh) Nona picked out a Computer Cool School for them this Christmas--which is on the 'toy of the year 2008' list!

While I wouldn't trade my high speed internet for anything (except maybe a Wii), I'm a little worried that my kids will become video junkies. I see families out shopping with their kids--and the kids don't even put their hand held games down while walking from the car to the store. It troubles me to see kids watching a video at restaurants while their parents eat, although I can't blame them. Keeping kids entertained during a dinner out can be a BIG challenge.

I have decided to set aside certain times as 'unplugged'--no games, cell phones, tv, nothing (well maybe music but no head phones). If I start now, hopefully it won't be a battle when they get older. Mealtimes are one such time. Evening walks are another. I'd like to have one whole day a week set aside, but I don't know if I could stick to it myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment