Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This one is funny

(well since no one was hurt):

My father in law, a grounds keeper in Oneonta, was mowing Neahwa Park after last year's fireworks display, and ran over a firework that hadn't exploded! My husband, who was in nearby Damaschke Field, compared the explosion to the sound of a Navy 5 inch gun going off. Imagine his amazement to see his father's lawn mower cruising out of a huge billow of smoke. Apparently, he was going to just keep on mowing! By some accounts, the police recieved phone calls from Nader Towers, well away from the park, reporting the explosion and siting of a cloud of smoke.

I played with fireworks as a kid! It was fun. But, as seems to be the case with everything, I have a little different perspective on the matter now that I'm a parent. I'm not so comfortable watching six year olds run around with sparklers (which burn at up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, by the way).

Something to keep in mind: According to the Otsego County Department of Health, bystanders are more frequently injured by fireworks than the people who are using them.

There, you've heard my two cents on 4th of July Safety. Now let's get out and celebrate! And mow with caution the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment